Tuesday, May 19, 2015

I am "Scentsational" !

Spencer's diary : I started tracking when I was about 14 weeks old. Mom waited until I had all the puppy shots before she took me out in the fields. It was fun and I love going sniffing. The best part, of course, is getting a McMuffin for breakfast. Pretty soon, it was getting hot in the summer, but I was pretty good already before I turned a year old. Mom said I could not compete in any AKC events until I got neutered at 14 months old. So my first winter went by, and I continued to go tracking with Sophie and mom last summer and fall.

The holidays came, and mom stayed home for 2 weeks. Aunt Roxanna was also here to spend the holidays. One day, Aunt Roxanna and mom took me to Judge Deb and mom said I had to track for Judge Deb so I could enter a tracking test. Judge Deb was very nice, and my track was very smelly. After that we went to McD's and I fell asleep during the long ride home.
Me tracking for Judge Deb

We continued to practice tracking and mom said I really needed to work hard and pass this winter or early spring. If not, it would be almost another year before I can try again. 

February came, and mom told me one morning that that day was my tracking test. It was cloudy and rainy that day. I got to the first turn and I lost my scent. Mom was very upset, but I really did not understand, since after the judge blew the whistle, I still got to the end and found the glove. 

We then started to track in the rain. Mom said that I needed to learn how to track in all weather situations. It was not all that bad, just got a little wet, but still the same McMuffin after practice. Mom
said that I will have another tracking test on Easter Sunday. I was kind of disappointed. I thought we were going on Easter egg hunt on Easter Sunday!

Well, Easter morning came and mom told me that I should get ready and not run around crazy with Sophie. It was another rainy and cloudy day. I hoped all the practice in the rain would pay off.

I got to the first turn and told mom a couple times that I needed to turn right, but she wasn't sure, so I told her a couple more times and she followed along. Then the second turn, the third turn, no problem. I started to get tired because there were a lot of wildflowers in the field, and you know, you got to stop and smell the flowers. I was also wet because I was not allowed to wear a raincoat during the test. So, when I got to the fourth turn. I told mom, here, turn right, and came to sit in front of her. She kept telling me to go find it, but I thought she could go get the glove herself.

She said that quite a few times, and I saw the judges behind her looking at us. I really would like my McMuffin then. That was when mom said go find it and we go to McD's. Oh that I heard right, so I
got up right away and head towards the glove.

But then, I got to stop and smell some more flowers. The flowers smelled really good, and mom kept reminding me that I needed to look for the glove. I know, I know. I needed my breakfast too. And finally, there it was, the glove, glorious glove. Mom bent down to pick it up and everybody cheered. I did not know I had an audience, but I was very hungry.

The judges told mom that I passed the test and we walked back to the car and off we went to get my McMuffin.

Instead of going home, mom said we needed to go back so I could get my ribbon. I was wet and tired. I fell asleep in the car. Mom woke me up later so I could get my ribbon and pose with the judges for a picture. I could tell mom was happy. A few people gave me some treats so I was happy too.

My surprise came when I thought we were heading home, mom stopped to eat lunch with everybody who entered the test. So I decided that I would take a nap. Mom then came out with a burger. I could
My ribbon and glove, along with a hat for
Mom, a prize that I won 
not believe it. I was so happy. A burger and a McMuffin on the same day? Afterall, I am officially "Scentsational" !