Sunday, December 12, 2021

The Preferred Agility Champion (PACH) title: My journey

Selene’s diary: Since I got my Champion Tracker title in March, mom said I needed to go back to agility competition and get my 4 double Qs. We went to Belton in April and I did not get any double Qs. I had quite a few drop bars and I felt I was out of sync. Three of my four paw pads took turns cracking in the winter and it hurt when I land after jumping. I just need more time to go back in shape. By then the weather was fairly warm and mom said we have to find places to go so we can leave Sophie in the car. In the mean time I did a lot of jumping drills in the back yard and mom taught me how to stretch and warm up.

Me coming out of the weaves

So our next stop was Alabama. Mom found a show site there with a big cover parking area where we can crate out of the car. So we had to leave Spencer behind again. We stopped in Mississippi Wednesday night and headed towards Alabama on Thursday. We got to Alabama Thursday afternoon, and we went to check out the show site and so I could pee. Then we went to the hotel. Sophie was happy with her freshly prepared meal. Friday we woke up early and mom walked Sophie in the parking lot so she could exercise in her wheelchair. Then we went to the show site and found a good spot under the cover. It got warm during the day but not hot. I got a double Q Friday and mom bought me a steak from Texas roadhouse. She ate all the mushrooms though. 

Saturday my runs were not until later in the day and it was warm. I qualified in jumpers but went into the wrong side of the tunnel so no double Q. Mom said I did well but I need double Qs. So no steak for me.

Sunday it was cooler in the morning and mom said it was my last chance to get another double Q, and I did. We finished by midday and mom got me and Sophie lunch, which was Sophie’s favorite can food. We started heading back home and mom said she will buy me something special when we get to the hotel in Mississippi. Sophie started screaming at 4 pm cos she was hungry and I began to worry when my special treat is coming. We got to the hotel at 5:30pm and mom said she got to cook and feed Sophie first. I got my dinner but I had not forgotten about my treat. Mom said she ordered it and she got to go pick it up. 

Sophie waiting on the couch for dinner

Mom came back from Cracker Barrel with 2 hamburger sliders and yummy carrots. She gave me some of her chicken strips and fried apples too. I was so full I fell asleep right away.

So now I was at 18 double Qs, 2 more to go. It was already the end of May and there was no where to go where we can crate out of the car. Mom could not carry Sophie very far so mom said I had to have more jumping drills so I would not have any drop bars.

Mom decided we are going to San Antonio next. 


Me with my Cracker Barrel treat 
We left on a Friday morning in June with Spencer and Sophie. Spencer whined a lot in the car and so did Sophie. We got to the hotel and mom cooked dinner and we all went to bed. We woke up Saturday morning and mom cooked us breakfast, then we started to doze off when the door suddenly opened. I jumped up and barked and realized it was Dad! I was very surprised and mom said we needed to go and Dad was going to stay with Spencer and Sophie. I got my double Q #19 that day, so one more to go!

Sunday morning came. Mom and I left to go to the agility trial while Dad stayed with Spencer and Sophie. I qualified my standard run and mom called Dad that he would have to check out the hotel because we had to stay for my jumpers run. Mom told me we were going to run slower so no bars would drop. It was hot that day and the air condition was not very cold so I could not move very fast anyways. 

Me on the A frame

Finally the moment came. I finished running and mom went to grab one of the jump bars and I thought she was going to hit me on the head. But we went over to the judge and she congratulated us. Mom said I will have steak as reward. She put me in the car and we drove to meet Dad and got Sophie and Spencer out of Dad’s car. Both of them were very upset. Spencer was so upset he had diarrhea on our drive home.

Mom promised Sophie that we would not be travelling in the summer and she said I would be taking a break from competitions. I really do not mind going to agility trials if there is food involved. 

My PACH picture